Dear Chicago House,
Got 5-10 minutes spare. Why not have a go at making these fun dyed eggs for Easter?
You will need
- Hard boiled eggs
- Gel food coloring
- White vinegar
- Painters masking tape tape
- Craft knife
- Plastic cup
- Empty plastic bottle
How to create pattern dyed eggs
- Start off by making your dye. Into a plastic cup add hot water so it is about 2/3rds full. Pu in a dollop of gel food coloring and give a good stir to make sure it is completely dissolved. Top up the cup with white vinegar so it is half full.
- Prepare your eggs. I am going to assume you know how to make hard boiled eggs. Once they have cooled cut thin stips of painters mask tape and stick them around the eggs. I went for a simple random placement but you could go for something more exotic.
- Put you egg into the dye and turn the eggs over slowly with a spoon. the longer yuo leave the egg in the deeper the color.
- Set the egg to dry on an uncapped bottle
- Once the egg is dry remove the painters tape
The dye only takes to the exposed area of the egg. Aren’t they pretty.
Creative in Chicago