Dear Chicago House,
With this lovely early spring I have been enjoying messing about in your garden so I thought I’d share with you today how I get you ready for the coming months with a spring clear up. The garden really hasn’t changed much since we moved in but I have big plans this year to introduce some perennials as guess what…the garden is void of color most of the year.
So this is how I go about my grand spring clean up
- Get a really good pair of gardening gloves, your hands will thank you later.
- If you have trees in your yard it doesn’t matter how good of a job you do clearing up leaves in the fall, you can guarantee your beds will need a good rake again.
- When your beds are all clear, edge them with a sharp spade to create a nice clean line
- Cut back any dead bits on plants, stalks, old flower heads etc.
- Take a hoe and give the soil of your beds a good working,
and that is that..simple isn’t it!
And now for some gratuitous garden pictures.
I can’t wait for some summer color and to get things rolling I filled a planter with gorgeous blue pansies today
But wait…I think I may have jumped the gun because when I checked my computer after coming in this is what I saw, a high of 39 deg on Friday with a low of 23..arggghhh. I will be out covering my baby plants.
Creative in Chicago