Dear Chicago House,
With this lovely early spring I have been enjoying messing about in your garden so I thought I’d share with you today how I get you ready for the coming months with a spring clear up. The garden really hasn’t changed much since we moved in but I have big plans this year to introduce some perennials as guess what…the garden is void of color most of the year.
So this is how I go about my grand spring clean up
- Get a really good pair of gardening gloves, your hands will thank you later.
- If you have trees in your yard it doesn’t matter how good of a job you do clearing up leaves in the fall, you can guarantee your beds will need a good rake again.
- When your beds are all clear, edge them with a sharp spade to create a nice clean line
- Cut back any dead bits on plants, stalks, old flower heads etc.
- Take a hoe and give the soil of your beds a good working,
and that is that..simple isn’t it!
And now for some gratuitous garden pictures.
I can’t wait for some summer color and to get things rolling I filled a planter with gorgeous blue pansies today
But wait…I think I may have jumped the gun because when I checked my computer after coming in this is what I saw, a high of 39 deg on Friday with a low of 23..arggghhh. I will be out covering my baby plants.
Creative in Chicago
5 thoughts on “Spring Clean up for Your Garden”
I know what you mean, I live in the Chicago burbs and this weather?!!?! Thanks for the tips!
Oh my goodness, I think our high on Friday is going to be 30… Celsius. 🙂
I love all of the pics of your garden…we used to really enjoy yard work. It has a totally different feel to it as a renter. :/
And I ALWAYS forget about the gloves and think after the fact "I should've known better".
And, once again we rolls the dice…..
Gotcha! Low of 23!
I thought we might have been able to turn off the furnace. HA!
Gotta love Chicago.
She really does have the best pizza.
Weather. Her evil side…
(Side note – Can I just mention that my eyes are getting old and sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 times to get the word verification to post. Perhaps that's the blog's way of saying hush…) Shrug.
Jealous of your 30 deg C!
Thanks for letting me know about the word verification issue…nothing more annoying. I have turned it off!