Ohhh now here is a fun watercolor project. These painting have been sat on a shelf for ages and I though it was about time I shared them with you. I wish I had photographed all the steps I went through in creating them but I was sort of in the moment and picking up a camera and documenting the progress quite often is the last thing on my mind!
How to paint a night sky watercolor
- Start by taping down a piece of watercolor paper on a stiff board with low tack tape- I used that blue decorators tape
- Wet the entire area of your paper with a brush
- Apply a wash of watercolor over the paper varying the colors and intensity.
- LET DRY COMPLETELY!
- Add some random cloud shapes using blues, purples and blacks
- While the paint is wet sprinkle with salt. This produces some nice texture effects.
- LET DRY COMPLETELY
- Repeat steps 5-7 until you are happy with the look
- Finally add star splattering using a tiny dab of white acrylic paint on a dry brush and flick it all over the painting
So one of the reasons these painting have surfaced this week is that I have just used them to create a seamless repeat pattern for fabrics and the like.
I have called it Space Dust
It is currently for sale on lots of different product on Redbubble
Creative in Chicago