Dear Chicago House,
I always knew I was destined to be the shortest member of my household. I am 5’7″ and Chicago teenager “over took” me about 6 months ago. Her closet needs a good sort out as there are so many things that don’t fit.
So I had a little sort and ended up with a bundle.
But before donating to Goodwill, I thought I’d have a go at making something from old t shirts and this is what I came up with.
A braided memory wire bracelet
And you can make one too!
This is what you need
- Old t shirts
- Memory Wire
And this is what you do
- Cut 1″ wide long strips of fabric from your t shirts, mine were about 16″
- Stretch each strip so they start to roll into itself.
- Cut a length of string the same length as your stretched fabric strips.
- Knot two strips and the string together.
- Cut a length of memory wire (I used a loop and a half)
- Place your knotted bundle at the end of the wire and start braiding
- When braiding go under and over the memory wire to incorporate it.
- When you reach the end knot your braid and snip off the ends.
I made three in total. The pink and blue one was from a stripy shirt.
What have you made from old t shirts?
Creative in Chicago
3 thoughts on “Make a bracelet from an old t shirt”
Hi! I just came across your post about these cool T-shirt bracelets- they are so cute!…. I've seen T-shirt bracelets before, but never heard of using memory wire (which I have never heard of) with them…. I am looking at the pictures above and wondering: For both of the bracelets you made, there is a white strip going throughout… it looks like string, but, my question is– is that the memory wire, or just a strip of white t-shirt? What does memory wire look like? Is it is a certain color? Is it hidden beneath the colors of the T-shirts you used? Thanks for your reply!
Glad you liked the bracelets. You are correct about the string, I used two strips of t-shirt fabric and 1 length of sting for each…it gave them some added texture. The memory wire is completely hidden in these bracelets…for a photo of memory wire check out THIS POST. You can get it in Michaels
Thanks a bunch!! Going to get some memory wire and try this! 🙂