Dear Chicago House,
I watched a video the other day about an octopus that has been taught how to take photographs ( check it out here)
It inspired a sudden desire to draw an octopus but I took it a little further.
Want to make one of these yourself?..read on!
DIY Coastal Art: A Fun Octopus.
You will need
- A piece of stiff cardboard – used the back cover of a notebook
- School glue- I used Elmers
- Heavy duty foil
- Shoe polish
- Oil Pastel sticks ( optional)
- Start by sketching out a basic octopus shape…I kept things simple
- Squeeze the glue straight from the bottle onto your design. Some of my dots bled but I thought it added to the design.
- Let to glue dry completely, I left mine overnight. The take a piece of heavy duty foil and stick into onto your cardboard. I used a glue stick but any glue would work.
Now you need to really work the foil around your design elements. I used a q-tip and my fingers. Once you are happy wrap the foil edges around the board.
- Next apply several layers of black shoe polish using a soft rag
I also added a bit of subtle color using oil pastel stick..here it is before I blended it it.
It made a nice addition to the coastal theme shelf I have in my home office
Love from Creative in Chicago