Dear Chicago House,
I allow glitter in the house, yes, it’s true. When Chicago teenager was much younger, one of her little friend would come around and they would spend hours in the basement gluing, glittering, painting and generally having a fabulously creative time. Her friend was not allowed to take anything with glitter on it home because her mother forbid glitter in the house. How sad is that.
I know it can make a mess and if you use it you end up having glitter on your face for days…well I do. But how can you make lovely Christmas ornaments if your home is a glitter free zone?
Chicago teenager is still a glitter fiend and she made most of these
They are very easy to make.
What you will need
- Clear ornaments
- Elmers Glue
- Glitter-the finer the better
- Arylic Craft Paints
- A Tray
- Negative circles
What you do
For Glitter Ornaments
- Paint your design with glue- it works best if you do a bit at a time otherwise when it is time to glitter some of the glue has already dried
- Holding your ornament over a tray gently shake the glitter over it
- Paint a bit more of your design and continue to glitter
- Let the ornament dry by hanging it somewhere
- You will find that quite a bit of glitter sticks to the non glue areas…to get rid of it take your ornament outside and gently rub it with a soft cloth.
- You can reclaim the glitter from your tray ready for next time.
For a Simple Painted Ornament
- Select two contrasting colors
- With a fine paint brush simply dot the entire ornament
- Hang to dry
- Repeat with your next color
I made one of these painted ornaments last year – it is one of the most visited pages of my blog.
Creative in Chicago
4 thoughts on “DIY Christmas Ornament Tutorial – Glitter!”
Love these ornaments – so fun and LOVE the colors! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of glass ornament crafts here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )
-Mel the Crafty Scientist
My hubs says glitter is a low tech tracking device. There are puffs of glitter on the floor as it falls off of me. If you dont love glitter you are not a true crafter.
haha so true!